The Glass House Programme at new detox and weight loss retreat now open
A new detox and weight loss programme has launched at the UK’s first purpose-built retreat just 50 minutes from Central London in Bulphan, Essex.
The Glass House Programme at the Glass House Retreat offers the very latest wellness, detox and weight loss treatments—including whole body cryotherapy – giving people the chance to transform their health and wellbeing.
Co-founder, Joy Jarvis said: “The Glass House Programme has been developed as a response to my experiences of visiting different health and wellbeing centres across the UK and Europe.
“We have built the Glass House Retreat as a purpose-built detox and weight loss centre and we wanted a cutting-edge, healthy weight loss programme that delivers amazing results.”
The Glass House Programme is what you make it. While the programme offers structured activities each day, if visitors feel like a personal training session rather than a group class, that’s fine. If people feel like staying in the pool, no problem. The Glass House Programme is recommended, to achieve the best results, but it’s up to the individual staying at the retreat what they make of it.
In the Morning
The Glass House Programme starts at 7.30am with a hot water and fresh lemon. Lemon water flushes out toxins and is extremely beneficial for the body. It’s the perfect morning drink, helping the digestive system to wake up and eliminate waste products from the body easier.
After the lemon drink, people on the Glass House Programme enjoy an hour long walk in the countryside before breakfast at 9.00am. There are several benefits to morning walks through the countryside including:
- Walking gives you energy for the rest of the day.
When we take a brisk walk in the morning, we quickly activate our body's systems. Pulse rate rapidly increases, perspiration begins to flow, and we feel a level of alertness about ourselves and our environment. Once we begin walking in the morning, this improvement in mood can last throughout the day.
- Walking in the morning removes the “I’ll do it later” excuse.
Walking in the morning creates a positive mindset for your other important activities. Taking a brisk walk in the morning creates an energy boost, a mental sharpness and a sort of walker's “high” that comes with all vigorous exercise. Once the walk is over, the “can do” attitude will carry over to the other things you face throughout the day.
- Walking in the morning promotes weight loss.
Although the calorie burn from walking may not be as great as running, for example, the activity of walking does steadily burn calories that will contribute to weight loss.
- Early morning exercise is good for your heart.
Walking in the morning has tremendous cardiovascular benefits. Studies show that by consistently walking in the morning at a brisk pace between three to four miles per hour, we can reduce our chances of suffering from heart disease by as much as 40%. Walking is also a fantastic way to address high blood pressure, hypertension, heart attack and stroke risk because the activity strengthens the heart and generally improves cardiovascular health.
At 9.30am to 12pm people have the choice of different exercise classes to help improve their health, fitness and wellbeing. The Glass House Programme includes a hand-picked selection of exercise classes proven to work across all fitness levels such as yoga, pilates, aerobics, water aerobics, boxercise, circuit training and TRX. All activities have their own benefits and are tailored to Glass House visitors’ individual needs.
- Yoga is thousands of years old and works through a combination of breathing exercises, meditation, and postures. It’s a great all-round exercise, giving you a solid foundation of physical and mental wellness.
- Aerobics gets your heart beating and blood pumping. When it comes to weight loss and fitness, aerobics is hard to beat. It’s fun too—rhythmic and diverse, mixing stretches with cardio.
- Pilates is like yoga, but focused more on increasing your core strength, and muscular endurance. It’s good for your whole body, giving it resilience against injuries and easing away historic muscle tension. Pilates is a rare, low-impact form of exercise that gives you much more than it takes.
- Water aerobics is a type of resistance training. It’s a proven way of increasing your core strength and losing weight. What’s unique about it though, is the water regulates your temperature. So, it may not feel like you’re losing calories, but you are.
- Boxercise ® includes shadow boxing, skipping, hitting pads, press-ups, shuttle runs, sit-ups, and more to make you fit as a boxer. It’s a high intensity, effective class, with heaps of health benefits. Superb for core strength, endurance, agility, and releasing pent up stress.
- Circuit training/TRX is another high-intensity class, based around sets of exercises (or circuits) that are completed, before quickly moving on to the next one in a series. Circuit training is an extremely time efficient way for you to boost your cardio vascular fitness and muscle endurance. The Glass House Programme uses TRX systems as part of its circuit training. This is a specialist form of suspension equipment, brilliant for increasing core strength, balance, and flexibility.
In the Afternoon
At 1:00pm the Glass House Programme stops for lunch. Plant-based, raw food is created by Miguel Gouveia, a raw food chef trained at a top raw cuisine school in California. As part of the programme, Miguel puts together colourful and wholesome plant-based raw meals. Ingredients are fresh, organic where possible, and from respected local suppliers. As well as preparing meals, Miguel runs demonstrations so people on the programme can enjoy and learn about quality, health conscious plant-based vegan / raw meals and the weight loss benefits of their ingredients.
From 2:00pm to 7:00pm anyone on the Glass House Programme has free time to use the Glass House Retreat as they please. It is not a boot camp and the Glass House believes it’s important for people to go at their own pace while also giving the body and chance to relax. Guests have the choice of relaxing in the spa, swimming in our indoor heated pool, enjoying a spa treatment or joining another exercise class, if they want to accelerate their results from the programme.
In the Evening
At 7:00pm the Glass House Programme comes to a close with dinner served by Miguel. A plant-based raw food menu to top off your day with a light healthy meal that will continue to help your detox and weight loss into the evening. What more could you want from a wellness retreat.
To find out more or join the Glass House Programme simply visit our Packages page for more details on two to seven day or more stays at the Glass House Retreat.